How lucky was it that my 26th birthday fell on a regular blog post day? I feel like I'm killing two birds with one stone here.
Twenty-five was a weird year for me. I was forced to grow as a person, probably more than I wanted to at the time. I got a layoff notice a week after my birthday last year and suddenly found myself in a new job that I didn't like or wanted. I started becoming disenchanted with school and suddenly found myself not wanting to go to class anymore. There were some dark times, but now that I'm on the other end I can say that I needed to go through those dark times. I switched jobs in February and forced myself to get through the last stretch of grad school. Twenty-five may have started off on one of the lowest notes in my life, but it's definitely ending on a much higher note.
Twenty-six is going to be a big year, just with graduation. I've been in school since I was three with little to no break in between. Twenty-six will be the first time I get to be a "real person." There is so much I want to accomplish this year. There is so much to make up for.
If I had to give a word to describe 25, it would be brave. I had to be brave to deal with some of the stuff that happened. Now that I have brave in my repertoire, I can look at 26 with a different lens. My word for 26 will be grow, because I'm reaching a new stage in my life.
I plan to grow by…
- Traveling: San Diego, Portland, Seattle, all of the places I've wanted to visit for so long. Maybe not all of these places in one year, but traveling and finding our next home will be high on my list.
- Saving: I want to use my savings for a down payment on a house in the next couple of years now that I'm not paying (as much) tuition
- Exploring: There is so much of Tampa I've yet to see, despite living around here nearly my whole life
- Loving: The dynamic in my relationship is going to shift with me out of school
- Cooking: I'm going to cook my way through a cookbook this year
- Being: I want to take care of myself this year